Chef Ze’s EasyPeasie BBQ Mac and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups. milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound pasta (such as penne, cavatappi, or rotini)
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon EasyPeasie Natural Blend
- 1 teaspoon EasyPeasie Red Blend
- 1 1/2 cups cornbread croutons, crushed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
Preheat broiler with oven rack 8 to 9 inches from heat.
Prepare pasta a little over “al dente” according to package instructions.
Microwave your milk for 1 minute in a microwave safe bowl. While milk is heating, melt butter in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; add flour and Montreal steak seasoning, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a low boil, whisking often for an additional 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and cook sauce, whisking often for 3-4 additional minutes. Whisk in cheeses, hot sauce, and EasyPeasie Natural Blend. Stir cheese sauce occasionally until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened approximately 3-4 minutes.
Stir together cornbread and olive oil. Add a dash or two additional EasyPeasie Natural or Green Blend, toss until cornbread crumbs are moist.
Drain pasta, and fold into cheese sauce. Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into 9” x 13” baking dish ,sprinkle top with cornbread mixture; sprinkle green onions over cornbread mixture. In another bowl combine EasyPeasie Red Blend and barbeque sauce and set aside.
Broil corn bread covered mac and cheese 1 to 2 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Serve immediately.