The Incredible, Edible, Pea!
Last 10 Articles
- Sleep-Inducing Warm Milk for Kids
- The Role of Sleep in Children's Health
- Recipe: Kid-Friendly Veggie Burgers
- Nutritional Superheroes: Exploring the Power of Green Powders
- Teaching Kids About Portion Size
- The Benefits of Family Meal Times
- Healthy Eating Habits for Toddlers
- Recipe: Heart-Healthy Beet Hummus
- Valentine's Day Special: Love Your Body with Nutrition
- Picky Eater Problems: How to Deal with Mealtime Challenges
Greetings PeaPod and friends!
We thought it would be great to start our blog with a dialogue about the amazing green pea. “Eat your peas!” is the prototypical phrase that conjures up the vegetable experiences of many childhoods. For us, it also brings back memories of long nights at the dinner table (at our Grandmother’s table, we couldn’t be excused until our plates were clean!).
Well, turns out, our parents and grandparents were right to have wanted peas to be a staple of our diets. Peas have been a favorite legume and food source since ancient times — found in the tombs of Egypt and in the ruins of Troy. Peas are a great source of protein, fiber, iron, folate, vitamin A, vitamin K, and other mineral nutrients like selenium and calcium. For these reasons and more, peas are an essential ingredient in our blends.
For more information on peas, check out the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) household fact sheets, or choosemyplate.gov, the USDA’s website on healthy eating and physical activity. Tell us about some of your childhood veggie experiences (yours or your kids’) here or at #easypeasie.
Eat Your Peas (ie)!
Peas, Love, and Happiness :)